What is an Interlibrary Loan?
All Fountaindale Library District cardholders can access our Internet-based online catalog, called Pinnacle, at the library, at home, or at work, and directly request materials from that catalog. You may access that catalog by clicking here. You can indicate at which location you would like to pick up your materials and you will be called when they are available. If you cannot locate an item in the catalog, you can try to locate it and request it using OCLC WorldShare. The library will not Interlibrary Loan materials that are in the Pinnacle system.
How to Request an Interlibrary Loan
- Stop by any of our service desks or the Bookmobile
- Submit an email request to ill [at] fountaindale.org
- Call the Adult Services Department at 630-685-4176.
- Click here to submit the request through OCLC WorldShare. You will need your library card number to log in.
General Information About Interlibrary Loans
- All Interlibrary Loan borrowers must have a valid Fountaindale Public Library District Card.
- Books, DVDs, CDs, and some microfilm may be requested, but audiovisual materials sometimes take more time to receive, especially outside of Illinois.
- The library will not request VHS tapes as most libraries either no longer carry VHS tapes or will not loan out these items.
- Photocopies of periodical and newspaper articles may also be obtained from other libraries, although many periodicals are now available full-text on one of the library's Online Resources. There is generally no fee for this service. If there is one, you will be contacted for permission, prior to us obtaining the materials.
- Interlibrary Loan requests are limited to 5 requests a day.
- Loan periods are three weeks for most items, and seven days for most movies. Usage restrictions are at the discretion of the lending library. ILL items cannot be renewed.
- Library items newer than one year are generally not requested through Interlibrary Loan. Please use the Can't Find What You're Looking For form for these materials.
- The Interlibrary Loan process can take 2-6 weeks for materials to arrive. Materials that are being borrowed from outside Illinois take longer to arrive. It is not unusual for materials to take several weeks when coming from other states. The library cannot guarantee the availability of materials or how quickly they may arrive.
- Due to consistent difficulties in receiving textbooks back in a timely fashion, the library does not request textbooks through Interlibrary Loan.